At its meeting on 13th May 2019, the council adopted a co-option policy
Qualification & disqualification
Subject to the rules of disqualification, a person is qualified to stand in an election for a parish council if they are British subject or a qualifying Commonwealth citizen, or a European Union citizen, and are over 18 years of age. In addition, they must also meet at least one of the four following criteria:-
1. The are at the date of their nomination (and continue to be) on the electoral register as a local government elector for the parish in which they wish to stand;
2. They have occupied as owner or tenant any land or premises in the parish during the whole of the 12 months before the day of their nomination and the day of the election;
3. They had their principal or only place of work in the parish during the whole of the 12 months before the day of their nomination and the day of election;
4. They have either during the whole of the 12 months before the day on which they were nominated as a candidate, or on the day of the election, resided in the parish or within 3 miles.
One effect of these rules is that is is possible to be a member of more than one local council.
Disqualification - in summary, a person may be disqualified from being elected or being a councillor if they:
1. Hold a paid office for the council in question;
2. Are the subject of a bankruptcy restriction;
3. Have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of three months or more (including a suspended sentence), without the option of a fine, during the five years before polling day;
4. Have been disqualified under the Representation of the People Act 1983 (which covers corrupt or illegal electoral practices and offences relating to donations).
The rules are extensive so please check detail on the Electoral Commission's website.
This is the link for up-to-date information about the 2019 election:-
The nomination forms for the parish council election are now available and can be downloaded using the following link: https://www.south-norfolk.gov.uk/residents/elections-and-registration/current-elections
and are also available by clicking here